CASA of the South Plains is pleased to announce that it has received a grant from the Meadows Foundation in the amount of $50,000 which will be used towards operating costs of the CASA facility at 1215 Avenue J, Suite 301. This grant will further assist CASA in serving more foster children in the South Plains.
“We are incredibly grateful to The Meadows Foundation for their recognition of the need in the South Plains community and for their generosity in granting our program this award. Their philanthropic support will help advance CASA’s efforts to provide a Volunteer Advocate to every child who needs one ,” said Lauren Westerberg, Interim Executive Director for CASA of the South Plains.
Algur H. Meadows established General American Oil Company of Texas in 1939 and led it to become one of the nation’s most successful independent oil and gas production companies. The success of GAO provided Algur and his wife, Virginia, the financial resources to support charitable organizations throughout Texas.
Believing that their lives had been richly blessed, the couple established The Meadows Foundation in 1948 to benefit the people of Texas. In doing so, they stipulated that the Foundation’s philanthropy would continue in perpetuity under the guidance of family members and trusted advisors.
The Meadows Foundation has contributed greatly to enriching the lives of countless Texans in the areas of arts and culture, civic and public affairs, education, health, and human services. The Foundation has also developed high-priority grant making initiatives in support of the environment, public education and mental health. Hoping to develop a philanthropic spirit among middle and high school students, since 1981 the Foundation has awarded in excess of $3 million to more than 400 Texas schools whose students planned and carried out community service projects.
Since its inception, The Meadows Foundation has disbursed more than $775 million in grants to more than 3,000 Texas institutions and agencies. Grants have been awarded both in large urban areas and small rural communities and in every Texas County. The Foundation looks for programs and services that employ imaginative, innovative ways to solve community problems, and promotes projects and capital plans that lead to organizational self-sufficiency and sustainable growth.
The Foundation also established the Wilson Historic District in 1981, a 22-acre campus where as many as 39 nonprofit agencies are provided rent-free office space and access to management and technical assistance in restored historic buildings and new structures. The Foundation has invested more than $120 million to create and maintain this unique neighborhood, which is considered a benchmark for historic preservation and a model approach to housing and promoting nonprofit agencies. The Wilson District now holds local, state and national landmark designations.
The Meadows Foundation is among the most recognized family foundations in the country, both for its grant making practices and for its active engagement in advancing the field of private philanthropy. For additional information, visit The Meadows Foundation at www.mfi.org.